The provinces current production does not meet the demand resulting in the importation of meat products from other provinces. The livestock population has been growing steadily for the past years, owing to the market, conducive environment and government’s commitment to developing the sector.
Table below shows how the populations have grown from 2007 to 2016
LIVESTOCK 2007 2016
Cattle 53,750 92,706
Pigs 41,611 70,765
Goats 35,119 209
Sheep 7,255 12,531
Chickens 1,805,068 3,189,181
Some of the products from the sector include:
• Processed meat
• Dairy products
• Congo (DRC)
• Within the province
• Saudi Arabia and other countries
Currently the Government is making concerted efforts to produce enough goats to supply to Saudi Arabia. The available population countrywide is not adequate to meet the demands of the market.
• Goat bulking Centre of up to 500 goats in Masaiti, Mpongwe, Lufwanyama and Chililabombwe Districts.
• Ndola Diagnostic Veterinary Laboratory: Works have already began
• Breeding Centre for Cattle
• Dairy Farming
• Goat production
• Livestock processing companies
• Animal Feed producing plants
• Animal Hides processing plants